O.K., this will be my last Vertebrats post for awhile—this really isn’t an all-Vertebrats blog and I’m not stalking them or anything. That being said, this weekend really reverberated with us. We were at the reunion eleven years ago and I loved it but it didn’t shake me up as much. Perhaps, as my friend Kirsten noted, it’s because our life wasn’t as far away from those days then….we didn’t have kids yet and we still went to see bands all the time. In the intervening years, a couple of kids, a bout with cancer for Ernie and my father succumbing to Alzheimer’s have all made me feel much, much older. Ernie and I sometimes disagree about this, but for me—when he was diagnosed with cancer I felt like I crossed a line and there was no going back. I’m not sure the Brats made me go back but it did something for me. Can’t quite express it yet.
Anyway—-a few random notes and pictures from the weekend. (by the way—we were too busy talking and listening to get good pictures–if anyone has any—please send them to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) or post a link.
1. I’ve always been a girl with a soft spot for bass players. Just the way it is. And I’ve got to say—nobody slings a bass nice and low like Don Gerard. Nice work Don.
2. Van Cagle. My friend Eileen lived down the hall from Van Cagle and Tim McKeage. She had hoped to be there this weekend but couldn’t be. Wish she had been—Van said he’s never forgotten the night we heard Wanda Jackson echoing from his apartment and just invaded…..Here’s a picture of me and Van many, many years later. And why did I forget to get his email address? Anybody have it?
3. Why the hell didn’t I get a picture of Ernie and me with Jon Levy? Reconnecting with him was a highlight of the weekend. Next time Jon…
4. At one point I was standing off to the side up near the front and I looked back and Ernie was back next to the stage leaning on something and I swear to God—he’s still the guy I would have picked out of the bar line. Here’s a great picture of him and Jimmy after the show…I love this picture because Jimmy looks so happy and Ernie looks his goofy self which he doesn’t usually allow in photographs….
5. Kenny has the most gorgeous kids. No surprise I suppose but they just were so beautiful. It’s still hard for me to imagine my guys the age of his son….I can’t imagine what awaits me….
6. Seeing Pete was great! After he’d posted a dozen or so clips on youtube I finally emailed him and said, “do I KNOW you?” and sure enough I did. He was also kind enough to remind of the name of Doreen and Melissa Records’ band which had been driving me nuts (The Rayguns). Can’t wait to see the video from this show Pete.
7. Oh….and here’s a favorite pic…..a veritable Milktoast reunion:
Well, I said this was my last Vertebrats post but I’m not sure that’s the truth. I’ve got a little four year old blonde kid begging me to go downstairs and sit with him though and he’s a charmer so off I am…..