9:35 p.m.:  Dinner was actually pretty good.

9:25 p.m.:  Owen and I are sitting on the front porch coughing as we try to get the smoke out of our lungs.  He pats me on the back and tells me that I'm really not that bad a cook, that it could happen to anyone.  Then he explains that he had to come downstairs because when he heard me screaming he got worried that I'd hurt myself….or seen a spider.

9:20 p.m.:   The kitchen no longer smells like vanilla.  We race around opening windows as the smoke fills the first floor.  Wow that happens quickly.

9:15 p.m.:  Evidently trying to sear a steak in a hot cast iron pan can be a tricky business as the flames go up in the pan and try to get it out and eventually begin screaming for my husband.

9:00 p.m.:  Ernie hobbles upstairs and tumbles the boys into bed while I start our dinner.  We haven't eaten dinner this late in a long time.

8:35 p.m.:  the boys race to the kitchen for fresh chocolate chip cookies

8:30 p.m.:  I attempt to get the sliver of brown glass out of Ernie's heel.  No luck.

8:20 p.m.:  the scent of vanilla wafts through the house as Ernie sweeps up the glass.  Expensive Penzey's vanilla I might note.

8:15 p.m.:  Loud crash from kitchen and much swearing.

8:00 p.m.:  Leo begins watching his beloved Ice Road Truckers.  Owen apologizes and begs to make chocolate chip cookies with Ernie.

7:15 p.m.:  Owen screams and complains for awhile.  We ignore him.

7:00 p.m.:  Owen has a meltdown over something that I can't remember now.  Oh, that's right it was about Leo taking a shower before him.

6:30 p.m.:  Ernie and I spend a ridiculous amount of time at the computer doing some shopping and figuring out where to stay in Chicago when we go with the boys after Christmas.

O.k., I can't go any further….I can't remember the rest of the day that clearly.  We spent hours at my folks' house.  I had hoped to get the basement cleared out but we didn't get that far.  We have now gone through everything left on the main floor of the house and pulled out anything we want for ourselves however.

As the Alzheimer's enveloped my father he became obsessed with sorting things and repacking them.  Thus….every box, every drawer….well, let's just say they are FULL of surprises.  So the family pictures that were once in a couple of boxes?  Now they are spread all over the house.  Likewise with old bills, instruction manuals for long gone appliances, old letters and family items that we want to keep etc.  It means that we have to go through EVERY thing.  All those shoe boxes have shoes in them, right?  Well, the first 8 but the 9th one has all sorts of other things.  That box just has Christmas ornaments, right?  Oops, a used Depends as well? 

Today Ernie is going to try to drag up boxes from the basement to the kitchen so we can go through them when I get off work.  The poor man has a million other things to do as well.  Oof.  It will feel great to get through this week.  And I'm saying that on Monday morning….yikes!

In other news…..we bought three Christmas trees ($19.95 at Prairie Gardens).  The boys were very excited.  Leo is my Christmas boy remember.  One for the living room, one for the dining room and one for the media room.  We have our ornaments, my parents' ornaments and Judi's ornaments….so why not have three trees.  We also each picked out a new little tree for my tree collection.  The boys decided they should each have one for their room so we said everyone could pick one out.




And it's just that time of  year…..here's the note I found on our bathroom mirror (the location for all please-don't-forget-notes).


5 thoughts on “Sunday

  1. reading your post was like seeing the movie “memento”, only funnier. it’s a great way to tell a story, cynthia.
    oh yeah, then there’s the usual assortment of humor: leo covering his face, owen’s ‘owenisms’ and ernie’s wry note on the mirror. i hope it’s okay to say it made me laugh? no one was (seriously) hurt in the making of this post?