1. Ernie had about a half hour to kill between the Cancer Center and picking me up from work the other day. He showed up happy as a clam with several 78's he'd found. Yes the Hank Williams one is beat to hell but that's the great things about 78's—-they play anyway!
and the b-side:
2. Why is it that blue hydrangeas and red geraniums look so much better in New England?
3. I made a gratin for dinner last night. Owen turned up his nose at it but it was pretty great. I won't give you the recipe because it wasn't quite right…a little too liquidy but the flavors were wonderful. Of course, how could it not be? It was potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant, with some sauteed onions and lots of fresh basil. I'll need to perfect this….
4. These were my Maine souvenirs: a set of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow stone coasters. Yes, I am a Longfellow geek. What's it TO you?
5. When I first get home from vacation I tend to obsessively begin planning next year's vacation. I showed Owen a picture of someplace I thought we could stay in the White Mountains he looked at it and said, "YES, I think the cottages are cute Mom, but really? I just kind of want a break from Maine." And of course he's right….I need to let the lure of the cool air, beautiful buildings and the ocean drift away for a little while. It's August….school supplies need to be bought.
6. I know meteorological fall doesn't start for awhile but school registration certainly brings it to mind. That's not all bad however because we have several GREAT Sandwich Life house concerts coming up!! The fall schedule:
Original acoustic pop by Kenny Draznik and Jimmy Wald (that's right—from my beloved Vertebrats)
Saturday, September 8, 2012
FREE show–although there will be a tip jar!
Friday, October 12, 2012
DAVID OLNEY AND SERGIO WEBB
Friday, November 9, 2012.
And hopefully….if Fats Kaplin isn't too busy playing with that pesky Jack White, he and Kristi Rose will once again grace our Christmas party.
Some treats to look forward to….more info to follow!