Tuesday I was in such a good mood I was almost giddy. I made TWO phone calls I didn’t want to make and I even did it with other people in the room! I abhor phone calls so this was a huge accomplishment. Then Owen came over and commented that he needed a flint compote and I was so thrilled that my baby wanted a piece of pattern glass that I went over to a cupboard and pulled an extra one out to give him, because I own too many flint compotes. Then I had one of the best, albeit ugliest, meals I’ve had in ages. Leftover braised green beans and chard over rice with Tabasco for a bit of vinegary kick. It was a good day.

Wednesday looked promising. I was meeting my beloved friend, Renee, at Art Mart for lunch. I had taken one small bite of my food when my phone flashed ‘Tufts Medical Center, Boston.’ I’m not big on answering my phone but yeah, that one got my attention.

My sister Debbie had a stroke.

I spoke to the doctor for awhile. She had a procedure done to remove a clot in her neck and after that was conscious enough to let them use her phone to find my number. I went home and cried.

I was able to speak to her today. Her speech is slurred and she is miserably sick and vomiting which evidently is a stroke thing. The things one learns throughout life. She was still in NCCU but is to be moved to a regular floor today which is good. I don’t know how long she’ll be there.

I don’t know what else to say but I would welcome prayers for her. This has hit me hard.

I love you, Debbie.

7 thoughts on “Tuesday was great: then came Wednesday

  1. I’m so sorry for your news about your sister, Cynthia. Just know that you’ll have lots of people, including me, sending her – and you – every kind of good thought and healing wishes to help her get through this awful situation in the best possible way. If there’s anything we can do, just let us know. -Susan

  2. Cynthia, I know Debbie from when I worked as a minister at her church in Malden; I started following your blog back then and still do. I’m so sorry to hear about Debbie, but praying she’ll come back to her full sassy self. She is beloved and my husband and I are keeping you all in prayer.